Tuesday, May 24, 2016

How to make rose water - and why you should try this!

My little daughter and I worked in the garden for hours and decided to take a bath this afternoon to soothe our sore muscles. We didn't take an ordinary bath but added a major touch of luxury and lovely scent by adding rose water I had made a few days before, and for good measure we sprinkled some rose petals on the water.

This bath and this view (check out that climbing honeysuckle in the background!) was worthy of queens and princesses! Because that's what we are, and we deserve pampering, and so do you!


Spritzing rose water over your skin is a great youthful skin tonic, since it tightens pores, controls acne due to its balancing effect on the skin's PH, and smoothes tiny wrinkles. And who doesn't want that?






Let me show you how to make your own rose water so you can be spoiled, too. Cause you deserve it!


What you need:

- fresh or dried rose petals
- water (preferably without chlorine and chemicals)
- pot to boil water in
- colander or strainer


I harvest the rose petals from my own garden, which is overflowing with Old English Roses. Any roses will do, as long as they smell yummy and haven't been sprayed with pesticides or herbicides. You can use fresh petals or dried petals, which you can buy here from Mountain Rose Herbs.


For this batch, I filled a quart mason jar loosely with rose petals. Some purists say it's best to pick the petals in the morning when the scent is strongest, but I picked mine in the evening, because that's when I had the time. It worked out just dandy smell-wise.


Put the petals in a pot and cover them with water, then bring to a low simmer. 



Put a lid on the pot and simmer until the color is drained out of the petals (maybe about half an hour or so). 


Let it all cool, and then strain the water through a colander and a funnel into a mason jar.

From there, you can pour the rose water into pretty spritz bottles.

The rose water keeps at room temperature for several days, and in the fridge for a month. Spraying cold rose water on your face on a hot day is heaven and will give you a glowing complexion!

I poured this whole quart jar of rose water into the bath I shared with my little one. Pretty color, intoxicating scent!




Have fun, and let me know how it goes!

9 comments:

  1. That sounds easy! Wish I had roses! (planting this fall just before rains start) Maybe my neighbor will let me have some of his. Great idea. Thanks Corina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super easy! And even if you don't have your own roses, you can either try to find wild roses (they are fragrant!), or get them dried from Mountain Rose Herbs. It's so worth it!

      Delete
  2. OMG - how cute are you two! Your tub makes me miss the wonderful claw foot that I grew up with. I will definitely be trying your recipe, because it sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know the craziest thing I didn't even mention in this blog post? The claw foot bathtub was on the property when we bought it 14 years ago, and it was old and rusty and awful. My husband refurbished it, and now it's gorgeous. And it was free!

      Delete
  3. I'll have to try this when I put in rose bushes next year. Right now the deer would eat them all and I don't want to share my roses with deer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, unfortunately, deer love roses. You could put wire cages around the roses to protect them until they grow nice and tall...

      Delete
  4. Dear Corina, it's wonderful to learn from you! I'll try this recipe, I'm sure. You shared it in a wonderful way and with wonderful photos, not only with a step by step but also with the beauty of that moment with your daughter and you. You are both so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ana, oh, now my ears are burning! Thanks for the beautiful compliments!

      Delete
  5. Is this the same type of rose water that you can use for cooking, and in baking when it calls for it? It seems very easy to just do it myself using this method. I literally just posted on FB if anyone had recommendations on where to get rose water in bulk for a good price. Then went to email to get all caught up this week and saw this link in the weekly roundup. Did the universe send me a sign or what?!

    ReplyDelete

Click on the image to download my free ebook and to join my mailing list

Become a patron!!!

If you like our blog, please become a patron. What the heck does that mean? As a patron, you give us as little as $1 a month (or as much as $20 a month) to show your support and get exclusive, patron-only content from us. You will get tutorials, recipes, inspiration, and support from us, the homesteading, wilderness and homeschooling experts! You can cancel anytime!

https://www.patreon.com/Marblemounthomestead

Popular Posts