Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Abundance

One good thing about all this heat and drought we've been getting is this:

RIPE BLACKBERRIES!!!





Last week, all five of us trudged out to one of our favorite blackberry picking spots, where you get a sweeping view of the valley as you stuff your face pick blackberries dripping with sweetness and juice.  One hour later, fingers, tongue and clothes stained, we had picked over a dozen pounds of berries. 

I made cobbler with whipping cream that night, and froze the rest.  They are great in smoothies all winter long.  We better pick some more...

We've been eating well around here.  The garden is my best friend come 4pm, when I realize dinner time is coming up soon, and no fairies have offered to cook it for me.  Usually, I wander out to the garden to see what looks good and then whip something up with it.

Potatoes, carrots, onions, cauliflower and a round of my Caraway Gouda get transformed into cauliflower cheese soup.



Zucchinis, tomatoes, basil and grated Gouda cheese turn into this:




Dessert? My own home made raw cacao truffles, super food extraordinaire.


All this food creates a lot of nonsense at the dinner table.  My handsome husband Steve and good looking son Luke really, really like what I cook.  You can tell from their faces.


It's not just the garden that produces lots of food.  The goats are cranking out milk by the gallons.  Poor things are looking skinny.  I feed them groovy, organic, non-gmo grain, alfalfa hay and grass hay, but they have decided they don't like the hay any more.  So I fenced an area full of thimbleberry and salmonberry bushes, which my four-legged friends devour happily.

I make lots of cheese and yogurt every week.  Yep, here I go again.







2 comments:

  1. Hello Corina,
    We're enjoying the blackberries here in Oregon too. I need to get more in the freezer for smoothies though! I just wanted to let you know that my family watched your videos on growing onions and loved it! We're looking forward to the next one. :)

    Love,
    Taryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taryn, hmmmmm.... funny you mention the onions because I've been scratching my head about what to do about them. We've had the most horrible drought and heat conditions here - onions don't like that. My onions look terrible, and so do everyone else's. Even my professional onion grower friends are lamenting the fate of their onions. So.... I don't quite know what I'll do about that. I can still show how to harvest and cure them, but they will be pathetic. Darn! The one year I decide to make a movie about onions! My onions have been gorgeous every single year!!!

      Delete

Click on the image to download my free ebook and to join my mailing list

Become a patron!!!

If you like our blog, please become a patron. What the heck does that mean? As a patron, you give us as little as $1 a month (or as much as $20 a month) to show your support and get exclusive, patron-only content from us. You will get tutorials, recipes, inspiration, and support from us, the homesteading, wilderness and homeschooling experts! You can cancel anytime!

https://www.patreon.com/Marblemounthomestead

Popular Posts