Saturday, December 17, 2016

My home-made honey nut granola recipe - who needs refined sugar anyway?



You know that our family loves to eat healthy, home-made food?  And that we don't want to pay lots and lots of money for it?

Well, when it comes to breakfast granola, you have to shell out a lot of money for the organic stuff.  I often wonder how fresh it is when I buy it in the bulk bins at our local food coop.

Do you have any idea how easy it is to make your own granola?

Here's the recipe I use and constantly modify.  You could use more or less nuts and seeds, and more honey or maple syrup if you like it sweeter.  You can add shredded coconut, dried fruit or raisins (but add the latter AFTER baking, otherwise they get rock-hard). 

Knock yourself out.

May your future be rich in granola.



Ingredients:


  • 4 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup sliced almonds
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup flax seeds
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • baking sheet lined with parchament paper



Directions:


Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

Put oats, nuts, seeds, and cinnamon into a big bowl and stir them together.


Melt coconut oil in pan.  Don't burn it!

When oil is liquid, add honey or maple syrup and vanilla.

Stir the liquid stuff into the oat and nuts mixture.  Mix well.



Spread on a baking sheet (with a rim so things don't fall off it) lined with parchament paper.

Bake for 10 minutes.  Then take it out and stir with a rubber spatula.

Bake for 10 more minutes.  Then take it out and stir again.

Bake it for 10 more minutes, but keep an eye on it, otherwise it will burn! 

Take it out and let it cool completely on the baking sheet.

Cooling it like that will make it chunky, which is nice.  

When it's cold, place in mason jars or suitable air-tight containers.  

Good luck keeping it around though.  When I make this, my family will devour it in two days.







9 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely scrumptious! Yeah, who, indeed, needs refined sugar! This recipe takes me back to the golden days of my youth when we made our own bread with flour we ground ourselves. There was granola always. We ate so much granola! With raw milk from the dairy. And soybean stew with veggies. We had a sign on our little house that said Beware! You Are Entering Borborrigmi Country! (Stomach grumblings).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make the same from my grandmother's recipe. And have a habit of burning it!
    One hint I would remind newbies is not to put the dried fruit in until after backing.
    Yes, I did that one too. Crunchy raisins anyone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! Let me mention that above, so we can spare people from eating crunch raisins! Thanks, Ann!

      Delete
  3. I made my own granola until about 3 years ago (life went wonky and I got out of the habit). I really should start doing it again, because it was so good! I'll definitely try out your recipe. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3 Researches REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually kill fat by eating Coconut Fat (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete

Click on the image to download my free ebook and to join my mailing list

Become a patron!!!

If you like our blog, please become a patron. What the heck does that mean? As a patron, you give us as little as $1 a month (or as much as $20 a month) to show your support and get exclusive, patron-only content from us. You will get tutorials, recipes, inspiration, and support from us, the homesteading, wilderness and homeschooling experts! You can cancel anytime!

https://www.patreon.com/Marblemounthomestead

Popular Posts