Thursday, November 21, 2013

One year - success!!!

I started my blog exactly one year ago. I was terrified to do it, because I didn't think I was good enough, English being my second language and all. Also, I was afraid that there wouldn't be anything to write about. Ha! Look at me now! I can't shut up!
I love this blogging thing. I love sharing our life with you, showing you pictures, and inspiring you. I have readers from all over the world, including South Africa, Germany, England, Switzerland, South America, New Zealand, Russia, Malaysia, Russia, and Canada. Many of you have written to thank me for writing my blog, to ask me questions, or to sign up for one of our classes.
I can't get over it, I really can't. I mean, I've been working on my self worth for years, but this big success, thousands and thousands of page views in one year? It blows my mind and humbles me, and sometimes, it makes me very, very nervous about sounding like a bumbling idiot, or about offending someone, since we all know I have strong opinions on pretty much everything.
So thank you, dear readers, for helping me find my writing voice, and for making me feel like a part of a big community of awesome people!

This week, we've had our first hard frost – the kind of frost that makes the grass crunch underneath your feet. The kind of frost that freezes the animals' water buckets and the duck pond, and my kale in the garden. The kind of frost that has us cranking the wood stove all day, or pull wool hats over our ears when we venture outside. When I go out to the pasture to feed the pigs in the morning, their steaming bodies are arranged next to each other in a big pig pile.

Asparagus fronds




A miracle has happened with all the cold, clear weather: the sun has come out! Which means my mood is finally greatly improved, which in turn helps the whole dynamic in our family. If mama ain't happy, nobody's happy.
The transition from being outside all day in the summer and fall to being cooped up in the house with weeks and weeks of rain and darkness is always a difficult one, especially for the South European sun worshipper that I am. But I think we have found a groove. Self care is important for my sanity: exercise, a little time alone each day, chocolate. Walks in the woods when the sun does show herself. And part of why I am knitting like a knitting machine is because it's my therapy. Color, wool, texture, creativity?  Bring it on!  And of course I knit to make money. My discount for my blog readers is still valid here.  I just finished a really pretty scarf with very unusual yarn.






I leave you with a picture of Kambucha fermenting in my kitchen.  If you don't know about this stuff, you should!  It's incredibly healthy, and incredibly expensive to buy at a health food store.  It costs very little to make at home!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Click on the image to download my free ebook and to join my mailing list

Become a patron!!!

If you like our blog, please become a patron. What the heck does that mean? As a patron, you give us as little as $1 a month (or as much as $20 a month) to show your support and get exclusive, patron-only content from us. You will get tutorials, recipes, inspiration, and support from us, the homesteading, wilderness and homeschooling experts! You can cancel anytime!

https://www.patreon.com/Marblemounthomestead

Popular Posts