Friday, March 15, 2019

Mardi Gras in our small town, a weekend getaway, and a freezing bike ride

I'm writing this as things are dripping and dropping and melting around me.  There's hope, y'all.  The snow is going away. Every day more of my garden is getting exposed.  Oh, it feels so good!

I'm sure you are sick of everyone complaining about the snow, so I won't do that.  Instead, I'll tell you how our family dealt with this cold, snowy winter.

We were selected Royal Family for this year's Mardi Gras celebration in our town, which involved dressing up outrageously, leading a parade, dancing in the street, and consuming large amounts of candy. We even had our little dog's tail dyed Mardi Gras colors (don't worry, it's washable and non-toxic!)

I love our little hometown of Concrete!  There's always a real sense of community at this parade, visiting with friends who were hiding away during winter, lots of laughter, dressed up people and critters.

Let me present to you the Royal Family:









As spring is approaching with its temperamental weather swings, where it snows one day, and the other you can sit on the porch without a coat, the chickens are waking up again and laying eggs.

The other day, I dug up some of our own ham from our very own pigs, and I scrambled them up with some spinach and our very own eggs.  I finally feel like a homesteader again, making fresh food straight from the farm instead of heating up frozen pizzas.

That Sam I am
that Sam I am
I really like green eggs and ham!





On one of the first snow-free days, I dusted off my bicycle and rode along the Skagit River.  Yes, it was cold, and yes, I wore four layers of clothing, but as soon as I laid eyes on the unique color of my beloved river, the icy wind blowing the cobwebs out of my head, I felt elated.

The endorphins from the exercise sure helped, yes, siree!

Look at that, will ya?




And then it snowed again the next day.



My man surprised me with a weekend trip.  He could probably tell that I was getting severe cabin fever, so he found us a great Air B and B room ($50 a night!!!), loaded up the kayaks and bikes, and off we headed to Fidalgo Island.  It's just 80 minutes away from us, harboring our most favorite places to play and eat. (Hello, Adrift Restaurant!)

The sun shone the whole time!  Lucky us!!!










I shall leave you with a few other snap shots of our week:

~ Our oldest kiddo Kai being inducted into the National Honor's Society

~ My knitted skirt coming along

~ On a hike in our backyard

How about you?  Is your snow melting?  Have you started gardening yet?









5 comments:

  1. Love! It's getting nice down here, too. Spent the whole day out side. Weeding. Weeding. Weeding. Tomorrow we're going to double dig the garden. Woo Hoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weeding, huh? And double digging the garden! Your soil must be well drained! I'm still a few weeks away from double digging my garden, and I'm happy you get to do that now!!!

      Delete
    2. Yah, our soil is a lot sand. (Central Valley used to be a big giant lake.) I have been on a mission to amend it ever since we've been here 4 years ago. I'm trying full blown John Jeavons no nothing just organic matter let nature do her thang!

      Delete
  2. Such fantastically creative costumes!! So happy you enjoyed a weekend away; love your family! Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, the funny thing about the costumes is that we totally made them up. We went to the thrift store, for example, and the purple thing on my head is actually a toy octopus that I just squished onto my head! Ha! Sending love your way!

      Delete

Click on the image to download my free ebook and to join my mailing list

Become a patron!!!

If you like our blog, please become a patron. What the heck does that mean? As a patron, you give us as little as $1 a month (or as much as $20 a month) to show your support and get exclusive, patron-only content from us. You will get tutorials, recipes, inspiration, and support from us, the homesteading, wilderness and homeschooling experts! You can cancel anytime!

https://www.patreon.com/Marblemounthomestead

Popular Posts